Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer Reading List on the Son Rise Morning Show

I'll be on the Son Rise Morning Show a little earlier than I usually am--at 7:35 a.m. Eastern, 6:35 a.m. Central--this morning. I'll be sharing my summer reading recommendations with Brian Patrick and the listeners of the EWTN Radio Network.

I have one nonfiction and three fiction books to recommend:

I'll post my review of Ryan S. Topping's Rebuilding Catholic Culture: How the Catechism Can Shape Our Common Life this weekend, but others much more influential and important than I have praised and recommended this book, per the Sophia Institute Press website:

"This book deserves to take its place among the Catholic classics."
Fr. Aidan Nichols, O.P.
Prior of Blackfriars, Cambridge

"This extraordinary book should be read by every Catholic parent, pastor, educator, politician — in fact, everyone."
Michael O'Brien
Author of A Father's Tale: A Novel

"This profound work of scholarship is a delight to read. It is shot through with gentle humor, and has a Chestertonian sense of paradox and irony. His exposition of the liturgy is particularly powerful."
Fr. John Saward
Oxford University, and author of Sweet and Blessed Country

"Ryan Topping wields the Catechism as a weapon of wisdom with which he demolishes the nonsense of the worldly philosophies and the sophistries they espouse."
Joseph Pearce
Writer-in-Residence at the Thomas More College of Liberal Arts

Three works of fiction, starting with The Mirrored World by Debra Dean, which I reviewed here.

Treason: A Catholic Novel of Elizabethan England, which I reviewed here. 
And Mr. Blue, which I discussed here and reviewed here

What are your summer reading recommendations or plans? Have you read any of these books and have any comments about them? Please share if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment